Thursday, 31 January 2013

Alienation theory



So I'm driving through deepest Florida with my colleague Phil feeling like I'm in a movie, a sense of alienation, and Phil introduces me to alienation theory. He explains that a central tenet of the theory is that it is only when someone is on the outside of a 'group' can they have genuinely innovative thoughts. In other words, the more one is integrated into a group or community the more one's views and opinions are shaped by interactions with other members.

Although I can't profess to be an expert this made me think that an effective community manager may need to walk the thin line between being a trusted and participative member but also retain the ability to step away from or outside the protective walls of the community. In such a way the community manager can facilitate the development of the group while also bring in new ideas from outside the group's discussions and frame of reference.

I need to do more reading around this - Hegel, Marx, Schacht (The Future Of Alienation), Erich Fromm (The Sane Society) - but I think there is something important here for academic community managers. Facilitating and effective learning community in a Higher Education context means wearing a number of hats, but what is crucial is the ability to be able to 'pull rank' when necessary while still maintaining an open, honest and trusting relationship with your students.

Or, as Phil put it, you need to be the barman - at the party but working, having fun but with a clearly-defined bar between you and the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment